The initial installation of Linksys EA4500 is as simple as other Linksys router setup. You can install this router with or without using Cisco connect software. EA4500 is App Enabled N900 Dual-Band Wireless Router with Gigabit Ethernet port.
What is app enabled router? – A router that can run an ever expanding selection of apps for accessing your home network and the devices connected to it.
Before we start installing your EA4500 router, let’s look at the features of this model.
Linksys EA4500 router Features:
1) Ultra fast wireless speed connectivity. The Linksys EA4500 has transfer rates of up to 450 + 450 Mbps to connect your devices at ultra fast speed.
2) Simultaneous dual-band to maximize throughput and help avoid network interference. Dual-band technology – It doubles your network bandwidth with its simultaneous dual-band N 2.4 and 5 GHz designed to avoid interference and maximize throughput for smoother and faster HD video streaming, file transfers, and wireless gaming.
3) Maximum range and reliability with full 3×3 MIMO antenna array. Superior wireless coverage – Built with leading 802.11n wireless technology, the EA4500 also has Full 3×3 MIMO antenna array which boosts signal strength on 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.
4) Gigabit ports for speeds 10x faster than Ethernet. Gigabit Ethernet – It has four (4) Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) ports for quick file sharing between other Gigabit-enabled devices like computers, hard drives, and servers.
5) USB Port to add a range of devices such as storage and printers. Capable of supporting one (1) external HD or USB printer. USB Storage Port – Add external storage, printers and other devices to share across your network
6) Cisco Connect Cloud (Available summer 2012)- Get anywhere, anytime access to your home network from a browser or mobile device. Plus, optimize your online experiences with included apps. Now EA-Series, E-Series, X-Series and Valet router users have more flexibility than ever before to manage and view network information in real-time from anywhere in the home.
7) IPv6 enabled – IPv6 is a new IP protocol that uses simplified packet headers and requires IPSec as a fundamental interoperability requirement. It also has improved support for mobile IP and computing devices.
8) Guest Access – Grant Internet access to visiting friends and family, while keeping your own information protected. The Guest Access feature makes sharing Internet access to other wireless devices possible while maintaining maximum security to your home network. It allows you to provide Internet access up to 50 guests visiting your home without granting them access to your local network.
Linksys EA4500 setup using Cisco connect:
This router comes with a Cisco connect software. You can use the Cisco connect software for the initial Linksys router setup. If you are running the software for the first time it will ask you to connect the modem to the router. But will not ask you to connect the computer to the router. However it will be better if you connect the computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. Run the program and at the end it will connect you to the Internet. You don’t need to do anything. The software will do all the settings on its own. It will also create the new wireless network with the unique name and password. Your wireless network name will be fully name like the name of fruit or animal with color for example white monkey or anything else. You will get all the wireless settings at the end of the installation. You can later change the SSID and the security key.
Linksys EA4500 setup without Cisco connect software:
You can setup Linksys EA4500 router without the Cisco connect software also. You just need to open the Linksys router setup page and change the settings manually. Setup page is the page where you can change the settings of the router manually. Guest network access can be managed using setup page . There is no need to install the Cisco software to create guest access which was necessary for E1000, E2000, E3000 routers.
Connect the main computer to the router and modem also. Check the status of lights. Every router has default IP address. The default IP address og EA4500 wireless router is 192.168.1.1. Open Internet browser and in the address bar type 192.168.1.1. It will open the setup page of the router.
According to the Internet service provider, change the Internet connection settings.
Once you change the Internet settings, create a wireless network for all the WiFi devices. Change the wireless network name SSID, security type and channel. The guest network can be managed using the setup page also.
Read how to put security on wireless network.
Once you create a wireless network, start connecting all the WiFi computers and devices to the network. First search for the WiFi, enter the security password and then get connected.
What is Linksys EA4500 default password?
Default password of Linksys EA4500 router is admin. However if you have installed your router using Cisco connect software then your wireless network key will be the password of router also. Open the Cisco connect software and go to router settings, you will see the user name and password.
If nothing is working then you will need to reset EA4500 and reconfigure it. Remember if you reset the device, it will come back to factory default settings and you will lose all the settings.
Make sure that your router is running on a latest firmware. If not then download the latest firmware from Linksys website and upgrade it.
Finally, I will advise you to use Fix Home Network’s Easy setup Guide for the initial Linksys router setup as well as troubleshooting all the router and wireless connection issues.